Tuesday 22 January 2013

Reflection 22.01.13

Still bunged up with flu :( First time i've had flu its friggin horrific! bones ache i sound and look like the exorcist eurgh. Anyways enough self pity and to reflection...

Today was a non uni day but actually turned out to having me think about William Morris

I have finalllllllllllly been offered a home with the council and today was my first time seeing my little flat. For years my living scenario has been in a state of flux. I have always been fortunate to have a roof over my head but when its not your home and you are not in control of who enters and subsequently affects your life and well-being, its extremely distressing. Everyone has the human right to have a safe environment and when financially the only option to you is council and you go onto their exhausted waiting list for 6 years it can become hopeless (ek this sounds like a therapy post). 

My reflection point is that William Morris was RIGHT 

"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."- William Morris

I've been living in other people homes, surrounded by their taste, their objects, their memorabilia and feeling more and more unsettled/distressed. I think William Morris' point was that by putting down roots i.e. decorating your home you create an environment that is yours. Just as dogs piss over their territory to make it feel like home, ...maybe the human equivalent of this is to decorate! 


I am the first to admit that this year I have been very distracted from uni work as home-life has been a MASSIVE worry. I feel and hope that over the next few months as i become settled I will be able to become more focused on my uni work. I just hope its not tooooo late ! ! ! ek! 


My tower block flat :) 




No comments:

Post a Comment